Sunday, December 14, 2008

BDSM, Twilight, and Manly Men

A little late to the party, I've been reading the Twilight book series and much of the attending feminist criticism of it.

I won't rehash in detail the numerous feminist issues, just a quick list.

Bella just sits and waits to be rescued over and over
Edward decides the relationship
Issues of domestic violence, especially in book 3
Promotion of a radical pro life agenda in book 4
Getting married and having a baby right away at 18
Bella wails, faints and has dizzy spells more than any 19th century literary heroine

You get the point....

I'm reminded of a conversation I had with a male friend of mine about why women are interested in BDSM. His hypothosis is that women want MEN. Not the sweet, share your feelings type...but guys that are protective, chivelrous, strong, and decisive.

I get that. I think he has a point. And that's why Edward the vampire is such a hit. We are biologically programmed to fall for a protector. Even if he is also an individual capable of killing us.....deep down, its hot that he *can* but doesn't because we're so alluring.

3 comments:

lalana said...

I'm a little late to it also... busy having a hissy fit right now because I finished book 2 and can't get my hands on book 3 tonight.
I've skipped over the feminist criticism of the series - right now I just want to enjoy it, I'll go deeper into it after I'm done :)
I agree with your friend, though - for so long I thought I wanted the "dream" man who was sensitive, etc. Nope - doesn't do it for me. I'll take the strong, protective, dominant man I have any day. And yes, Edward IS that type in the book - and I love it.
In my opinion, the girls aren't 'in love' with Edward, but with the love story itself - finding someone who loves them so deeply that they can't resist them, and falling for someone so hard that they can't help themselves, even though it's "wrong" by society standards.
Hmmm... I'm trying to pretend I didn't read your semi-spoilers about books 3 and 4 :)

You've been quiet lately - good to see you posting.

lalana

Alfro said...

So thats where you really have been hiding.

My wife is in the middle of book 4, and I have hardly seen her since she started book 1 a couple weeks ago.

She has seemed a little bit hornier of late. Do you think she is wanting me to dominate her? I just thought she thought Edward was "Hot", as my teen daughter has said.

HSMom said...

Sorry about the spoilers! If you need a Twilight fix to go the author's website and download the first 12 chapters of Midnight Sun, Twilight told from Edward's perspective. It really shows how old fashioned Edward is about women. And it *really* explains book 2. (Book 2 was my least favorite of the 4 BTW)

For me (not speaking for all other women here) I love the romance of the books. Edward is the total opposite of my DH. And, on a day to day basis, I'm not sure I could really be happy living with someone who felt they knew what was best for me all the time.